"He tends his flock like a shepherd:
he gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young."
Isaiah 40 v 11
We find ourselves back in lockdown again, but this time, with the knowledge that we've done this before, and the things we did in the other lockdowna to build on and draw on.
We are not any of us doing this alone, there are millions of parents/carers going through the same thing. We are here. If you need anything, just get in touch and we will do our best to help.
A great place to hear how other parents are doing especially in terms of working out their faith with their kids is our:
Faith in Families small group
We have one session left this term, but you would be more than welcome to join in. It's a great space to connect, share and here from someone in the church about something that's currently helping them do faith as a family.
Do sign up here:
Also if you have children with sensory needs you might like our Parenting Children with Sensory needs Group, which also has one session left this term:
Other Resources for Parents/Carers
Below are a selection of articles and videos that other churches and organisations have produced that we've found really helpful, which as the pandemic and lockdown continue are still very relevant:
- Nosy Crow’s book for children re COVID-19, illustrated by Axel Scheffler! Also has a number of links for parents at the back https://nosycrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Coronavirus-A-Book-for-Children.pdf
- Supporting your child’s mental health during the pandemic (Young Minds) https://youngminds.org.uk/find-help/for-parents/supporting-your-child-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic/
- Looking after yourself - Take note Parents/Carers! https://youngminds.org.uk/blog/supporting-your-family-s-wellbeing-during-isolation/
- Parenting in a Pandemic (especially for young children) https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p089psz9
- Indoor games for younger children https://www.unicef.org/parenting/coronavirus-covid-19-guide-parents/indoor-play-ideas-stimulate-young-children-home
- Really useful, clear and easy to follow reminder of parenting wins at this time: https://www.unicef.org/coronavirus/covid-19-parenting-tips
- Handling sibling fights https://raisingchildren.net.au/school-age/behaviour/friends-siblings/handling-fights
- Handling self-regulation and emotional control. We use this in our VKids spaces and if you are on our mailing list, we’ve sent you these for use at home. This is a link to the official website http://www.zonesofregulation.com/index.html
- Care for the Family podcasts. (https://www.careforthefamily.org.uk/family-life/podcasts?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItp6OgtOP6QIVQYBQBh2phgyWEAAYASAAEgKmV_D_BwE)
Christian Resources for Parents/Carers, Kids and Families
If you are wondering how to be encouraging your children’s faith at this time or indeed looking into adding to or creating habits, we and others have found these useful (again not an exhaustive list and we will add to this).
- Bridgetown Daily: Family Listening Prayer Practice. A 5 minute podcast to listen together as a family. https://bridgetown.church/teaching/bridgetown-daily/family-listening-prayer-practice/
- The Bible Project: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVfwlh9XpX2Y_tQfjeln9QA.
- By the Hand, free printable by Sally-Lloyd Jones from Thoughts to make your heart sing. https://www.sallylloyd-jones.com/downloads-for-you/
- Indescribable or How Great is our God by Louie Giglio, Thomas Nelson (Devotionals for children/families)
- Odyessy (online bible stories - 28-day free trial) https://www.oaclub.org/
- The Bible App for Kids - https://bibleappforkids.com/ (fun app for kids to watch Bible stories and interact with them, plus lots of companion resources on the website.)
- Sticky faith, by Dr. Kara E. Powell & Dr. Chap Clark, Zondervan (Everyday ideas to build lasting faith in your children.)
- That’s a Good Question, by J.John, Theology for Little People (Helping children answer their questions.)
Easter book recommendations:
Pre-school: The Promised One, Antonia Woodward (simple retelling in paperback)
Key-Stage 1: Easter Love Letters from God, Glenys Nellist and Sophie Allsopp , Zonderkidz (retelling of Easter story with notes from God to your child on each page)
Key-Stage 2: The Third Day, Alex Webb-Peploe and Andre Parker, The Good Book Company (graphic-novel-style book using NIV text of Luke's gospel)
We're all in this together so do share with us any resources you find particularly helpful.
Manny & Sinead