Sunday 3 October - Who’s got a temperature?
Ask: What happens when you’re ill?
- Your body may be hotter than it should be. We sometimes call that having ‘a temperature’.
- It’s not good for your body to get too hot and it’s a sign something’s wrong.
Ask: Do you know what’s happening to our planet?
- Clue - have a look at the cactus you were given at church.
- It’s warming up. It’s getting hotter than it should be, it’s getting a temperature!
It’s not good for the planet or for the people who live in it! In fact it’s dangerous and changes how the whole world works:
- Sea levels rise and icy glaciers melt
- Species of animals become extinct - their habitat changes and the food they need is only available at the wrong time.
- Extreme weather events happen more often
- Food production goes down
- Diseases spread and the poorest suffer most
Ask: Why is it warming up?
- Humans, burning fossil fuels like coal, oil and gas, send out a gas called CO2 as well as other greenhouse gases. That means they act like a giant blanket or duvet around the world’s atmosphere.
What happens if you’re under a duvet? You heat up!
Talk as family about what you can do.
Pray for the church as we try to do our bit.
Pray for the government to stick to its promise to keep warming to below 1.5C and stop supporting fossil fuel industries
Philippians 4:6 (Message version)